Praline Strawberry Semifreddo recipe is the perfect dessert during the Spring/Summer seasons. Especially when it is too hot to turn on the oven for baking. AM I RIGHT?
The strength of this magnific Praline Strawberry Semifreddo Recipe is that it can be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer for at least 1 month. So, if you have some unexpected guests, it will be ready to slice on and served with some fresh fruits in a blink of an eye. Cool right?
This dessert has a rich, creamy flavor similar to the gelato and is served with a delicious strawberry homemade jam. Of course, you can buy the jam from the supermarkets, but you will see how easy it is to make your own one. The praline strawberry semifreddo recipe is safe for young kids and pregnant women because the eggs have been pasteurized.
What is semifreddo?
Semifreddo is a creamy, soft, and silky dessert. This texture is given thanks to the high quantity of sugar, the air given by the whipping of the yolks, the egg whites, and the whipping cream. It does not contain any thickeners because the cold from the freezer will help this dessert to thicken up. The ideal temperature is between -16°C/-18°C. The freezer we all have at home will be perfect.
Is the semifreddo different from gelato?
It's so easy to confuse semifreddo with gelato. Both of them are a result of the freezing process, but they have a different method to be cold off.
So let's see the difference:
- Semifreddo- made at home temperature and needs to go in the freezer immediately to start the freezing procedure. This gives a soft texture to it.
- Gelato- prepared by mixing the ingredients inside a cold machine. Once it reaches the right texture, needs to be store in the freezer.
The three bases to make semifreddo:
- The Italian meringue- is made with whipped egg whites pouring slowly a syrup of water and sugar (previously cooked until reaches 121°C) while whipping.
- The pâte a bombe- is prepare from egg yolks and syrup as the above meringue. This cream is quite versatile, it can be used for mousse, tiramisù, and creams.
- The custard- is used in the semifreddo in combination with the Italian meringue and whipped cream. The custard will give more structure to the dessert. All of them can be used altogether or alone with some whipped cream.
What flavor to choose from?
Aromas and creamy pastes are used between 10%-20% of the total weight of the semifreddo. But for every aroma or creamy paste, must choose a different base of semifreddo. The best marriage would be pureed fruit (aromas) with the Italian meringue whereas for the pâte a bombe the praline (creamy pastes) would be a good choice.
How to make a praline strawberry semifreddo recipe?
The recipe that I am sharing with you is made by using pâte a bombe, almonds pralines, and whipped cream fat 35%. There are four steps in making this praline strawberry semifreddo recipe.
- Prepare the strawberry jam- cook the strawberry, the sugar, the lemon juice in a pot on medium heat. Turn the heat off when it's starting to thicken up.
- Prepare the praline - roast the almond in the oven, to release the essence of the almond. Heats the sugar to create a caramel texture. Pour the caramel over the almond and lets them cooled off. Blend it at high speed until reaches a flour texture.
- Prepare the pâte a bombe- start by whip the yolks on medium speed in a stand mixer or electric beater until foamy texture. Pour the water, and the sugar into a tall pot, turn the heat on high. Cook until the syrup has reached 121°C, do not stir the liquid otherwise you will have a crystallized sugar stick on the side of the pot. When the syrup has reached 121°C starts turning the electric beater or stand mixer to high speed, pour straight away the syrup gently near the bowl mixer, making sure to not pour the syrup on the whisk (this will cause the sugar to crystallize and that will ruin the pâte a bombe). Whip the cream until the mixer bowl has completely cooled down.
- Prepare the whipping cream- Whip the whipping cream with an electric beater or stand mixer on high speed until you will have a soft creamy beak, making sure to do not overwhip the cream. TIP: The trick is to stop every now and then to see the texture of the cream.
Get ready the praline strawberry semifreddo recipe.
The last step is to assemble the four elements. Firstly, add little by little the praline in the whipping cream. Folding it with a spatula from the bottom to the top. Secondly, take the pâte a bombe and again add it little by little to the whipping cream. Folding carefully from the bottom to the top with a spatula. Thirdly, pour the mixture on a loaf tin previously covered with baking paper. Cover the top with some baking paper, place it immediately in the freezer. Leave the semifreddo for at least 8 hours in the freezer.
Before serving the semifreddo:
Take it out from the freezer, remove all the greaseproof paper, spread the strawberry jam to the top, some almond flakes, some fresh strawberries, and some mint leaves to garnish. Serve immediately, store the leftover in the freezer.
Let's make this delicious dessert!
More dessert you'll love
Praline Strawberry Semifreddo Recipe
- Medium oven tray
- Medium oven tray
- Hand Electric Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Chopping board
- Loaf tin (900gr)
- Eletric blender
- Baking paper
- 2 Medium saucepan
- 308 gr strawberries washed
- 60 gr caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 50 gr caster sugar
- 50 gr blanched almond
Pâte a bombe
- 160 gr fresh egg yolks at room temperature
- 300 gr caster sugar
- 90 gr water
- 540 gr whipped cream fat 35% cold from the fridge
- Few almond flakes
- Few mint leaves
- A couple strawberries
- We start making the jam, add the sugar, the strawberry halves in two, and the lemon juice in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat and stir occasionally. The jam will be ready when it will start to thicken up in about 35 minutes. Once ready, place the jam in a glass container and leave to cool it down at room temperature. Store in the fridge once has completely cooled off.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C /180°C fans. Roast the almond for 10 minutes on a tray with some baking paper. Put the sugar on medium heat in a saucepan, cook until it will become light brown, and you will have caramel.
- Pour the caramel over the almond and leave it to cool at room temperature. Once the praline is cold, blend it on a food processor at high speed until you will reach a texture as the almond flour. Once ready set aside.
Pâte a bombe
- Whip the yolks on medium speed in an electric beater or in a stand mixer, and in the meantime, we will start to make the syrup in a pot, pouring the water first and then the sugar.
- Cook on high heat and cook until the syrup has reached 121°C, do not stir the liquid otherwise, you will have a crystallized sugar stick on the side of the saucepan. Check the egg yolks as they need to have a foamy texture and should not be completely whipped.
- When the syrup has reached 121°C starts turning the electric beater or stand mixer to high speed, pour straight away the syrup gently near the bowl mixer, making sure to not pour the syrup on the whisk (this will cause the sugar to crystallize and that will ruin the pâte a bombe). Whip the cream until the mixer bowl has completely cooled down.
- Pour the pâte a bombe on a bowl and cover with a cling film touching the cream, store in the fridge.
- Whip the whipping cream with an electric beater or stand mixer on high speed until you will have a soft creamy beak, making sure to do not overwhip the cream. (The trick is to stop every now and then to see the texture of the cream)
- Once the whipping cream is ready, we will start to add little by little the praline, folding it with a spatula from the bottom to the top carefully.
- Once the praline has been completely combine with the whipping cream, take the pâte a bombe from the fridge and again add it little by little to the whipping cream, folding carefully from the bottom to the top with a spatula.
- Once is all incorporated, pour the mixture on a loaf tin, previously covered with baking paper. Cover the top with some more baking paper and place it immediately in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
- Before serving the semifreddo, take it out from the freezer, remove all the baking paper, and spread the strawberry jam to the top, some almond flakes, some strawberries, and some mint leaves to garnish. Serve immediately, store the leftover in the freezer.