The creamy bean soup recipe is the dish you'll need to warm up your evening. This exquisite dish is super easy to make and the actual work is just 10 minutes. It's a family dish since kids love the taste of beans and, to make it even more tempting, serve it with some toasted bread and a bountiful grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
This vegetarian beans soup is a complete dish plus it is a great healthy alternative to meat. Not only that but it's a great way to save money, as they are cheap compare to the meat. If you want more ideas for an alternative to a meat dish you could try these delicious roast carrots with shallots and creamy yogurt or this easy vegetarian ricotta bruschetta.
This recipe contains 9 legumes: a wonderful source of protein, antioxidants and are low in calories. Not to mention that are full of vitamins A and C, minerals, and fiber. They are a Superfood source.
If you don't find the mixed beans in the store, you could always make your mix. I like to go to the bulk food store and choose my favorite beans while also reducing the impact of plastic, which is not bad! Once I'm home I combine each bean in equal parts in a jar, give a good shake to it, and store it in the cupboard. That's it, super simple.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy to make
- Inexpensive recipe
- Super healthy and delicious
- A recipe for all the family
- Makes a fantastic meal prep
To give that creamy texture to this vegetarian bean soup I have added a little secret ingredient. No, is not the flour, and no is not the double cream!!! The secret ingredient is the potato. Yes, that's right! The potato is a natural thickener agent that contains starch and in addition, makes everyone happy.
- Beans- the dry legumes used are broad beans, borlotti beans, peas, cannellini beans, pearl barley, chickpeas, hulled red lentils, Colfiorito lentils. However, you can replace them with your favorite beans or those available in your location.
- Water- used to re-hydrate the legumes and for cooking the soup.
- Carrots- used in the sautéed and gives sweetness to the dish.
- Celery- used in the sautéed with the carrots and the garlic.
- Garlic- gives a distinct flavor to the dish.
- Potato- gives a creamy texture to the soup.
- Oil- use extra virgin olive oil
- Tomato sauce- use pure passata without any addition of salt or oil.
- Salt and black pepper- to enhance the flavor.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTION*
*Note: this is just a quick introduction. Please read the recipe card for the full instructions.
- Hydrates the beans*. 12 hours before cooking, wash the beans under cold running water. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Cover the bowl with a plate and leave it a room temperature.
*Tip: the beans will double in size, so I suggest you use a large bowl and with plenty of water.
2. Sautéed the vegetable. Cut the carrots, the celery, and the potatoes into cubes. Pour the olive oil into a tall saucepan and add the garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for a few minutes then adds the potatoes cubes.
3. Add the beans. Combine the beans in the saucepan, let cook for a few minutes, then add the passata, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and let cook for more minutes, now add the water. Again, stir occasionally and let cook for 1 hour. It will be ready when the tines of the fork will insert easily into the potatoes and the beans.
That's it! Your bean soup recipe is ready to eat. Super simple!
Here I give some variations and suggestions to prepare each time a different but still tasty bean soup recipe. Here are my preferences:
- Pasta: here you can add any kind of pasta you like. I normally add penne or I break spaghetti o even the pasta leftover from the pack that it'll not be enough for making a pasta dish. Rice will be a good choice too. Just add the pasta straight to the soup. Remember to add the pasta when the beans are cooked and furthermore pour more water into it. Stir occasionally. It'll be ready once the pasta is cooked, add a bit of water every time you see the soup starting to dry up.
- Meat: I like to add sausages to the beans soup, it'll give a meaty flavor and will blink the eye to the meat-lovers. I suggest you to add the sausages right after the sautéed. Moreover, you could add some chicken breast cut it into equal pices if you like. Another suggestion would be the addition of smoked pancetta in the sautéed, the fat from the pancetta will release a wonderful smokey and woody flavor.
- Vegetable: to elevate the flavor add some chopped cavolo nero, or some spinach leaf, or even some broccoli. Basicaly you can add any greens you fancy. Also serve the soup with some grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano on top.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do store the leftover?
Store the leftover in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Additionally, you can freeze the leftover in an airtight container for up to 2 months and defrost the meal in the fridge the day before.
How do I reheat the soup the next day?
To reheat the soup, just add a glass of water into the saucepan and let it cook until hot. However, add a bit of water every time you see the soup starting to dry up.
Do I need to soak them into the water?
Yes, it is important to soak them in cold water for 12 hours. The water will hydrate the legumes, it will make them tender, and it will eliminate the phytic acid. Phytic acid is a substance that prevents the assimilation of calcium, iron, zinc, and magnesium, and becomes antinutrients.
Can I add different legumes to the dish?
Yes, of course. You can certainly add different legumes. Make sure to hydrate them before cooking them.
Can I use the legumes from the can?
Yes, of course. You can definitely do that. Remember that the legumes are already cooked so the time of the cooking will be different. I suggest you add the legumes after you have poured the water into the saucepan. Once the potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes after simmer, turn off the heat and serve the soup.
Beans soup recipe
- Large bowl
- Chopping board
- Vegetable Knife
- Medium tall saucepan
- 15 gr olive oil extra virgin
- 1 garlic clove
- 120 gr carrot
- 81 gr celery
- 355 gr mixed beans broad beans, borlotti beans, peas, cannellini beans, pearl barley, chickpeas, hulled red lentils, Colfiorito lentils.
- 229 gr potatoes
- 29 gr passata tomato
- 7 gr salt
- 3 gr ground black pepper
- 571 gr water cold plus more for soaking the beans
Soaking the beans
- Wash the beans under cold running water for a few minutes to remove any dirt. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover them with plenty of cold water. The water should be 8 cm above the beans. Cover the bowl with a plate and soak them for 12 hours. Leave it at room temperature.
Prepare the soup
- Cut the carrots, the celery, and the potatoes into equal cubes. Pour the olive oil into a tall saucepan and add the garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes then add the potatoes cubes.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add them to the saucepan. Stir the beans for 5 minutes then add the passata, salt, and ground black pepper. Stir and let cook for 5 more minutes, now add the water. Stir occasionally and let cook for 1 hour. It will be ready when the tines of the fork will enter easily into the potatoes and the beans.
- Serve it with some grated Parmigiano Reggiano and some toasted bread.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
Follow me on Instagram and tag me or mention me on your posts or your stories. I will happy to see your beautiful creations. I will see you on Instagram and on Pinterest too!
Leave a Comment